The course is approved by the Ohio Department of Health and the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
Students are taught by nurses who have successfully completed the Ohio Department of Health’s Train the Trainer program and have many years of experience in education.
At the completion of the course, students will be eligible to take the state test to become certified as a State Tested Nurse Aide.
Graduates have many opportunities for employment in health care facilities including hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and home care. Graduates may also consider advancing their education by applying for our Practical Nursing program.
ATTENDANCE – Ohio Department of Health requires that students attend all classroom, practice lab, and clinical hours to be eligible to take the State Test and be certified. Therefore, any absence may disqualify a student from completing the course or may result in a later completion date.
REQUIREMENTS – must be completed prior to the first day of clinical or student will not be eligible to attend:
1. Age – students must be 16 years or older.
2. Background check – A clear background check is required. If you have any offenses on your background – notify Marianne Bell at email@example.com to discuss whether you will be able to attend the course. Criminal background checks must be completed at the main campus of Stark State College, 6200 Frank Avenue NW, North Canton, OH 44720. Appointments must be made with the Security Department at https://gatewayadvising.as.me/Backgroundcheck. Appointments must be made right away as the results may not be available for up to 60 days. Results must be received prior to the clinical experiences per our clinical affiliation agreements.
3. Identification –Students must bring a current state issued photo ID and OFFICIAL Social Security card on the first day of class. If a student does not have their OFFICIAL Social Security card, they can request a replacement card through the Social Security Administration at https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html **Students must have ORIGINALS of both with them the day of the STNA State Test**
4. Parking pass – Parking passes will be sent to students by email. The parking pass must be displayed in the student’s vehicle when on college property. The pass is acceptable on both Main Campus and the Akron Campus
5. Textbook/Workbook – Students must purchase the required textbook and workbook before the first day and take to class EVERY DAY. Hartman’s Nursing Assistant Care: The Basics 5th Edition – textbook and workbook (has a hummingbird on the cover – blue and pink books).
HEALTH RECORDS –The following must be completed:
1. STNA Physical Eligibility Form—college form must be signed by a certified physician or nurse practitioner
2. Flu shot – current season flu shot if attending a class between October and May.
3. TB skin test – a 2-step TB test or Quantiferon/T-spot blood test
4. COVID-19 vaccine – students must submit one of the following:
*documentation of COVID-19 vaccination(s) – completed
*religious exemption form to be reviewed by the clinical facility
*medical exemption form to be reviewed by the clinical facility
DRESS CODE – These requirements must be followed during the entire course while in classroom, practice lab, and clinical experiences:
1. Uniform scrubs – navy scrub top and pants.
2. Shoes and socks -- Clean, white shoes with non-skid soles. Must be closed-toed and closed-heeled. Crocs are not acceptable. White socks or hose must be worn with uniform.
3. Nails -- Must be clean and no longer than ¼ inch beyond your fingertip (state regulation). Nail polish must be clear or neutral. No artificial nails or adornments.
4. Hair – Must be pulled back and clean at all times. Hair must be of natural color and no extreme styles (i.e. red, blue, purple, mohawks, etc.). Head coverings are prohibited in the classroom, lab, and clinical unless for religious purposes – must discuss with Program Coordinator prior to clinical experiences.
5. Jewelry/Piercings – One small stud (no hoop or wire earrings) in each lower earlobe. NO cartilage rings, nose rings, tongue rings, eyebrow rings or facial piercings. No necklaces or bracelets except a watch. No smart watches allowed.
6. Tattoos - may not be visible outside of the uniform. May be covered with a solid color shirt under the uniform scrub top; with a bandage; or with makeup if not in an area that will require frequent washing.
Students who have had previous testing accommodations must contact the SSC Disabilities Support Services at https://www.starkstate.edu/admissions/disability-support-services/ to determine their eligibility and accommodations available. Instructors cannot offer accommodations until they receive guidance from the DSS office. For more information about accommodations for the NATCEP State Test, go to the D&S Technologies website.
FIRST DAY OF CLASS
Students should arrive fifteen to twenty minutes before class is scheduled to begin.
Students will need to bring their completed physical exam form, flu shot documentation, TB 2-step documentation, COVID-19 vaccination documentation or completed exemption form, textbook, workbook, writing utensils and any snacks/lunch needed for the day. There is no cafeteria in the building, but vending machines are available. Thirty minutes is allotted for lunch.
Students must also bring their State issued ID, official social security card, and make/model/license plate number for the vehicle they are parking in the lot. Instructors will make copies on the first day.
Policies and Procedures – Students will receive a copy of the program’s Policies and Procedures on the first day.